Monday 30 July 2012

Olympics Opening Ceremony Thoughts

Best opening of Olympics by far :D

Four years since the last Olympic when I was watching it at the age of 15 in Morocco, Beijing 2008. Alot of hype was surrounding London hosting the Olympics and it more than lived up to it. The Olympics opening ceremony was incredible. I cannot remember the last time I sat in front of a TV for five hours straight, cheering, smiling, laughing and just having an incredible time. My Facebook and Twitter exploded and I tweeted over 200 tweets, a rare feat I have never achieved before just to show the extent of how fun it was. On Facebook everyone was talking about it, constant status updates as we were all shocked and amazed by appearances of Rowan Atkinson doing his part as Mr Bean causing hysterics. J.K. Rowling appearing to read an extract for the Literature part of the opening. My favourite part was the NHS sequence which involved children in night beds and nurses and doctors danced around them, once night arrived evil forces such as the Child Snatcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Voldemort from Harry Potter began before the good guys came to save the day. People also acted out Britain's history of the Victorian age with factories and furnaces as well as the Women's suffragettes including the music era. From also the Queen's entrance with Daniel Craig as James Bond jumping from the helicopter with parachutes, the night never failed to entertain and amuse one bit. 
The Rings connecting! The number of times my mouth was wide open in awe I lost count :O
                                                            The Lovely J.K. Rowling
                                                       Rowan Atkinson~ A Legend
Voldemort Versus Mary Poppins in Literature~ Kaerith wished Aslan from Narnia made an appearance 

Danny's Boyle's music score

One reason we still haven't seen a sequel to 28 weeks later is because Danny Boyle has been busy preparing for the Olympics. I honestly thought the music he provided for the event was nothing short of just INCREDIBLE. And it was perfect because 28 days later and 28 weeks later are both set in London with scenic empty landscape shots of London, so the soundtrack suited it perfectly. The one good thing I can say about the Olympics ending is that Danny Boyle will finally begin work on 28 months later since he will then be free (fingers crossed).
The beautiful and talented Emeli Sande sings 'Abide by Me', featured in 28 Days Later when Jim discovers his parents died peacefully in the aftermath

3 hours of 284 nations being introduced...

I loved the opening ceremony but goodness me that parade which introduced the countries I didn't enjoy as much. And also the number of countries which made me want to get an Atlas out or Google it. Places like Muamba, Saint Kitts and Nevis and Seychelles (I look at my tweets as saying this because they were easy to forget). I kept feeling very stupid when my face pulled a frown as I thought "THAT'S A COUNTRY!?". And the letter A and B dragged on for 45 minutes. But at least we know everyone in the world is being involved I guess. As well as the long duration, alot of people were tweeting, about how sorry they felt for the drummers. Can you imagine how tired those poor poor drummers must have felt, drumming for 3 hours straight. And the reaction of Queen Elizabeth II was priceless that there were a lot of memes, but in defense of the Queen not looking impressed with the 3 hour duration of countries being introduced she is very old and to stay up that late with the energy and also the high heels. Bless her Majesty for that effort, she really did amazing. I screamed loudly for Japan! Being a Tokyo Dreamer. Morocco and France for my family from there and sat through the whole 3 hours for my country, Great Britain which came last as we are currently hosting the Olympic Games this year. :)
My favourite meme XDDDD

After all the flags gathered on the hill...

We were all dying to find out who was going to carry the olympic flame for the final run as David Beckham and an athelete in a speed-boat approached the last run under London Tower Bridge. We were all hoping it would be David Tennant to commemorate Doctor Who and its British culture and impact, particularly the season 2 episode with Billie Piper playing Rose Tyler called 'Fear Her'. Or heck even David Beckham. Instead it was a male athlete who won something in the last Olympics. 
My reaction was "Who the f*** is that?" O.o You can imagine the memes that started popping up on Facebook.


The 2006 episode of Doctor Who, 'Fear Her' must have taken place in a parallel universe. :/

The ceremony ended with the beautiful cauldron being lit.

And it was a beautiful cauldron, the image I was getting was a flower coming to life, its stem bouncing up. We also saw UN leaders holding the last flag showing the Olympics logo representing all five nations and Muhammad Ali which brought a tear to my eye. Such an emotional and fantastic opening. Even without David Tennant it was beautiful and brought the whole world together under one starry sky. That day 1 billion people tuned in to see the world celebrating all together in one city and that's why the Olympics is still going even since Ancient Times. This is TokyoDreamer9 signing off for the Hunger Games, I mean Olympics. :D
                                                               The Grand Finale

No comments:

Post a Comment