Monday 23 July 2012

Dark Cloud 3

Level-5 on making Dark Cloud 3 or is it just a dream?

For those of you who don't know Level-5. Level-5 is a Japanese video game developer that has made some of the most amazing and well received RPGs that compete with Square Enix. Videogames they have published include Dark Cloud, Dark Cloud 2 (Dark Chronicle in Europe), Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King, Rogue Galaxy, Professor Layton Series, White Knight Chronicles and now recently they have collaborated with Studio Ghibli, the anime studio behind classics such as Spirited Away and my Neighbor Totoro to produce Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch.

Back in 2009, when discussing about White Knight Chronicles, the CEO developer Akihiro Hino was asked about a sequel to Dark Cloud series and said the company would consider it if enough of the community asked for it. Now straight away I sent an email, signed a petition you name it. But I do wonder if they are giving us false hope. No matter how many times I sign up to facebook groups, sign petitions, send emails requesting the game- nothing. What is with game developers not interested in providing the game a fan wants. I understand that they want to explore down other paths and try new things but would it actually hurt to make something for the fans just once.
                             Dark Cloud 2~ One of the most underrated PlayStation 2 games ever

Remakes that publishers do not wish to do e.g. Final Fantasy VII

Other examples I'm thinking of publishers not wishing to remake or release sequels is Square Enix. And I'm thinking in particular to Final Fantasy VII. Unlike Dark Cloud, Final Fantasy is a lot more successful and more heard of, Final Fantasy VII has sold so many units and regardless of what many people think is considered the most popular entry in the series to date. And yet for so many reasons even after millions of requests Square Enix will still not consider a sequel, only leaving hints, teasers and the lot that developers continually do. 

I know why Square Enix cannot make Final Fantasy VII, a lot is at stake in terms of development time, destroying the classic per chance and making the fan community angry etc etc etc. But going back to Level-5, a lot of these reasons are not in place. The only reason I can think of is that they themselves what to leave Dark Cloud behind. I'm saying this because I'm tired of all this waiting.
Even Dirge of Cerberus ended on a cliffhanger, what happens next?

Waiting?

I'm tired of waiting for:
Dark Cloud 3
Kingdom Hearts 3
Final Fantasy VII remake
Final Fantasy Versus XIII

I'm even tired of waiting for Final Fantasy Type-0 to be released in the west even after promises of it happening. In short, I wish game developers would stop giving their fans false hope and either say yes or no to a sequel or remake. How about all of you? Are you tired of waiting? Are there games you wish could see the light of day, heck even a HD remaster or have you moved on a long time ago?

Regardless of time, I continue to wait for these titles but when I remember them after so long I do honestly why it hasn't happened as of yet. 
TokyoDreamer9

1 comment:

  1. Dark Chronicle 3 is a game we need in the near future though. I know the creators worked on Ni no Kuni but I would love a third instalment to the series. It is one of the three most wanted franchises I want to see in the 8th gen in my post below. Can you imagine a new game for this generation?
    http://www.nynyonline.co.uk/franchises-i-want-to-see-in-the-8th-gen/
    I hope you will check out my post and comment!

    ReplyDelete