Thursday 26 July 2012

Dark Knight Rises Massacre

Films should never have openings like this. Ever.

First things first. All my prayers go to all the families and victims affected by this horrible tragedy, I started this entry days ago and couldn't bear to continue because it was still sinking in.

First hearing the news:

I was in a car, being driven back from Essex when my friend Kaerith told me that on Twitter it was trending that people had been shot in a cinema to a viewing of The Dark Knight rises by a guy trying to impersonate the joker. 

Marvel frenzy

This news shocked me but also horrified me. Marvel is highly popular at the moment with Thor, The Avengers Assemble, Iron Man etc clocking in the box office numbers. I went to see The Avengers Assemble, (which by the way is incredible) and it makes you think how short life is. It could have been any of us in a cinema watching a film, the least likely place you'd think something bad would happen. The incident also brings to light about how USA has guns available.

If you love guns, put fingers in your ears, caus I'm gonna diss 'em

I don't know what the laws are about selling guns in the US being from the UK but over here. Getting a gun is like getting 3 weeks of no rain in March. Its impossible! Period. Only police and military have access to it. I was also watching Law and Order: Special Victims Unit (which is set in Manhattan, New York, basically USA) and the number of times somebody had gun when they were not supposed to including underage children was shocking. There are arguments that I'm sure people will argue why people should be able to carry guns e.g. to protect themselves. But there really needs to be more restriction on who buys it, particularly the ones this criminal had when he did what he did.

Memes and Jokes regarding Dark Knight Incident...

Some of the jokes I have seen on Facebook and twitter related to the incident are not funny. This is a tragedy not a joke. People actually got hurt, its not some viral video on You tube of people doing silly things. Find something else to make jokes about, but show respect because let's face it, almost everyone goes to cinema these days and it could have been you. LECTURE ENDS there 

Obama didn't name the man who impersonated the joker.

When I heard what Obama said about this incident I honestly did smile. Wise words there as he said "although the perpetrator of this evil act has received a lot of attention over the last couple of days, that attention will fade away". From what I have seen with films such as 'We Need To Talk About Kevin', these incidents usually happen because the killer wants to be famous, craves attention. And Barack Obama is right. At the end of the day, the criminal will get locked up and put in prison. And the families and victims will be the ones who are remembered and honored.
Peace
TokyoDreamer9
My prayers also go out to the anniversary of the Oslo incident of Norway. I pray next July in 2013 we do not have another incident of gun violence.

No comments:

Post a Comment