Friday 24 August 2012

'I WAS HERE'~United Nations Humanitarian Day 19/8

What is United Nations Humanitarian Day?

First established back in December 2008, United Nations on August 19th commemorated Humanitarian Day to honor Humanitarian workers who every day around the world work to save people's lives in places where conflict and destitution is commonplace. It is celebrated on August 19th because on this date Humanitarian workers were killed in  2003 in a bombing in Baghdad and since then a day was established to acknowledge the self-sacrifice these people put forth. Its an important day because it highlights an important role Humanitarian plays in the headlines we hear ever day with people dying in developing countries from disasters, famine, war and so forth. 
                                                                     United Nations 

Beyoncé, I Was Here

To promote awareness of this day, celebrities such as Beyoncé, Shakira (who is known for her philanthropy of charity to education), Lady Gaga, (known for setting up the Born This Way foundation~ empowering youth) and so forth. Beyoncé performed at the General Aseembly, United Nations in New York with the song, 'I Was Here'. If you have not seen the video, it is underneath.
                                                                Beyoncé~ I Was Here

The message

I think this was such a clever idea, to use the song, 'I Was Here' and Beyoncé because it raises awareness of the day and the song encourages everyone to get involved no matter how small the action is. I wouldn't have known about Humanitarian Day but being a Beyoncé fan it made me aware of it and really want to do something towards it. Beyoncé as quoted mentioned the day as:
"On August 19th 2012, it is high time we rise together. Do one thing for another human being. Nothing is too small".
The blue tag in the video pop up in places around the world, as a way of representing people who do their part to leave their mark, their good deed to show they were here, they did something for humanity. I love the concept of it, its so inspiring and clever.

I can't make a difference...

In the words of Mother Teresa, "If you can't feed a hundred, then feed just one". The whole point is to do something to make one difference, no matter how tiny it is. If we all pitched in, uniting together to make a big change instead of giving up because we can't make a huge difference by ourselves like we wanted then things will remain the same.
Already 1 Billion people have done something to make a difference and that's just Facebook statistics, imagine people who don't use the social network site.

It's not l8th August 2012 anymore

It doesn't matter. Just because the day is over, doesn't mean there's still something we cannot do. From donating money, to making a video raising awareness we can all get involved, heck even telling a friend about the day your making a difference. I say this because I don't think people realize how many people put their lives on the line. Most of us see the horrible truth on TV and the news about people suffering and we acknowledge its horrible from the safety and comfort of our home but there are people out there who go out there and risk their lives. I'm doing my part, I can't say what it is at the present time because its under development but I want to leave my mark and tell the world too that I was Here.

To learn more visit WHD-IWASHERE.ORG

Drop your pin and start today to do something for Humanity.
TokyoDreamer9

No comments:

Post a Comment