Monday 24 December 2012

My Skin


This is a poem about my three going onto four years of experience with my skin. The poem is explicit and personal as it deals with something I have been trying to deal with for over three years that has affected my self-esteem and confidence. One way I have learnt to deal with it is writing recently. Hope you enjoy it or find it amusing and to anyone also going through eczema, urticaria or other skin conditions, YOU ARE NOT ALONE. Peace~ A

My Skin
My skin
I scratch
I scratch hard
I never stop
Even when I start to bleed
I see the Doctor
Eczema they say
Eczema?! I say
Steroid cream they say
Okay I say

I scratch
I scratch hard
I never stop
Even with this cream on
I see the Doctor
No cure they say
More cream will do the trick!
I read the side effects
Thins the skin it say
Damage my skin it will
I don’t want this cream

Give me something else I say
More creams
Moisturise Motherfucker!
Is that all there is?
I itch
I scratch
I bleed more
I look in the mirror
Why has it not cracked?
Dark circles from insomnia
I look fucking ugly

Be optimistic they say
I’ll try I reply
But it spreads
To my legs
To my face
To my neck
To my torso
It won’t stop!
I go to Doctor
And beg on my knees
They give strange cream
This cream could give cancer
But I say fuck it
I need this relief from this Purgatory

I’m freed from the Eczema
But my body say no
You suppress the immune system?!
Big time payback bitch
They come to collect their interest
Every time I sweat
Or emotions overwhelm
Hives erupt
What in heaven’s above is this?
I go to Doctor
Urticaria they say
No cure they say
Cheer up they say
Buy more drugs
Suffer in silence
I fear my sweat
I quit fencing
I stop running
Anything and everything that makes me sweat

I touch my skin
It feels rough
Like it belongs to a snake
Not a teenage boy
You used to be my birthday suit
Now I want nothing more than to rip you off
Reincarnate into a new body
All you ever give me is Hell
Three fucking years it’s been
Eczema, Urticaria and Blood
The story of my skin

No comments:

Post a Comment